The Louisiana Economic Activity Forecast provides data and analysis to policymakers, the business community, and gen
Moody Business News: October 2020Sun, 11/01/2020 - 12:00am
Each month, we will share news and accomplishments of Moody College of Business faculty, staff, and students.
Programs and Events
- Lisa Bowles hosted virtual guest speakers and tours with the Doubletree by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton in HMGT 371 Lodging Management I. Speakers discussed the General Manager's role, STAR report analysis, and FOH/BOH operations.
- Valerie McGehee hosted Tyler Miller as a virtual guest speaker in MKTG 357 Professional Sales. He is a diversity and inclusion coach and consultant discussed "Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace".
- Vanessa Hill was featured in the UL Lafayette Online Programs blog article "How to Build a Professional Brand with Integrity".
- Valerie McGehee hosted Eli Perkins, a sales manager with Franklin Covey in the Sales Management course. He spoke to the students about the role of a sales manager, how to coach sales reps, and his pipeline and forecasting process. Wade Berzas from Global Data Systems was a guest speaker in the Professional Sales class. He spoke to the students about the sales cycle and specifically, how to follow up with a client.
- David Reid hosted classroom guest speakers Abbey Dixon and Andrew Tregre of Northwest Mutual who presented information about their company and internship opportunities. SFC Albert Williams and members from the US Army Reserve team in Lafayette also visited to present information about opportunities and loan forgiveness.
Awards and Accolades
- The Beta Alpha Psi student chapter at Moody College of Business was awarded Superior Chapter Status for 2019-2020.
- The Moody Business Student Sales Team won first place for Top Overall Team at the 3rd Annual South Louisiana Regional Sales Competition. Megan DeJean, a senior marketing major/minor in sales, came in 2nd place in the individual competition.
Research, Innovation, and Publications
- Colleen Wolverton was the guest speaker at Moody Business Faculty Research Seminar on "The Impact of Expectations on Remote Work in a COVID-19 World"
- Gary A. Wagner had his paper, “Local Fiscal Adjustments from Depopulation: Evidence from the Post-Cold War Defense Contraction”, accepted by the National Tax Journal. The National Tax Journal is an A journal on the ABDC journal list.
- Gary A. Wagner was a guest speaker at the 10th Annual New Orleans Economic and Real Estate Forecast Symposium produced by the New Orleans Metropolitan Association of REALTORS® (NOMAR) and the Commercial Investment Division of the New Orleans Metropolitan Association of REALTORS® (CID).
The Academy of International Business Southeast US Chapter Virtual Conference was held October 22-23, 2020.
- David Baker was Co-Program Chair of the 2020 AIB-SE Conference. Approximately roughly 100 papers/panels and 214 registrants from over 25 countries participated.
- David Baker and Valerie McGehee presented the first part of a multi-method research study entitled "Four Factor Cultural Intelligence as an antecedent to Virtual International Sales Team Coaching Success and Failure: A qualitative exploration". This study will be extended further through a second confirmatory study prior to publication.
- Valerie McGehee was selected by the AIB-SE board as a finalist for Best Reviewer out of over 200 conference reviewers.
- Sarfraz Khan was co-host of an International Research Methods Workshop at the conference.
- Tyler Batiste, a marketing major, presented his research at the Academy of International Business-Southeast Conference virtually. The paper was entitled "The intersection of Cultural Intelligence, Psychological Safety, and Global Virtual Teamwork in Generation Z Individuals". Tyler was a finalist as Best Student Reviewer for volunteering to blind review four papers prior to the conference. He is also a McNair Program student and will present his research in the UL Lafayette Undergraduate Research Conference in Fall 2020 representing Moody Business.
- Gary A. Wagner provided expert comment for The Advocate article "Guest column: Louisiana delegation can help push promoting hospitality, commerce".
- Brian Bolton was featured in a Wallet Hub article about consumer credit card tips.
- Mary Luquette had several articles published by The Daily Advertiser:
Stephen Barnes was mentioned in the following news articles:
- "Louisiana seeking federal loan as unemployment fund runs dry" by Midland Daily News
- "Louisiana officials again delay triggering higher business taxes" by New Orleans City Business