The Louisiana Economic Activity Forecast provides data and analysis to policymakers, the business community, and gen
Moody Business News: April 2020Fri, 05/01/2020 - 4:52pm
Each month, we will share news and accomplishments of Moody College of Business faculty, staff, and students.
Programs, Events, and Engagement
Valerie McGehee hosted virtual guest speakers in her sales classes including:
- Scott Miller from FranklinCovey, and author of the class book, “Management Mess to Leadership Success”, joined the sales management class.
- Scott Gibson, director of talent acquisition at Stuller, gave students the predictive index test, and next week he will interpret students’ results. This will help the students understand their management and leadership strengths better.
- Robert Washington, former professional MMA fighter, a Navy veteran, a motivational speaker, and a sales executive at Gartner, joined the advanced sales class. He motivated the class to keep a positive attitude in these tough times.
- Reece Theriot joined the professional sales class and shared his thoughts about marketing as it relates to sales and relationship building.
- Ignatius Cahyanto, the Hospitality Management Program, and the Eta Sigma Delta Chapter at UL Lafayette (ESD) hosted a virtual induction ceremony on April 23. Six Moody Business students were inducted. ESD is an honor society for students in hospitality management. UL Lafayette is one of 90 chapters worldwide.
Awards and Accolades
- Geoff Stewart was named the recipient of the UL Lafayette 2020 Eminent Faculty Leadership in Service Award. This award honors a faculty member who combines service learning with classroom instruction to forge skills and knowledge that students can apply to community leadership opportunities.
- Stephen Barnes was appointed to the Louisiana Economic Recovery Task Force.
- Stacey Bergeron was recognized as the UL Lafayette 2019-2020 Advisor of the Year by the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership for her work with Tri Delta Sorority.
- Four Sales Team students competed virtually in the 8-week Sales Management Simulation (SMS) 2020 as part of the International Collegiate Sales Competition hosted by Florida State University.
- Senior management major Andre' Boudreau was featured in a small business article by The Daily Advertiser "UL senior owns, operates Mow Green Lawn Service".
Research, Innovation, and Publications
- Ron Cheek, Dionne Davis, Tammy Ferguson, and Tammy Hall had their symposium proposal, "Real-World Learning/Working Opportunities for Students Through Innovative Community-Based Projects", accepted by the Teaching & Learning Conference Committee for the 80th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management taking place August 7-11 in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Gary A. Wagner provided daily COVID-19 data and analysis to the Governor and Louisiana Department of Health. His work was cited by local, regional, national, and global news sources including:
- The Washington Post: ‘We were not given a warning’: New Orleans mayor says federal inaction informed Mardi Gras decision ahead of covid-19
- The Wall Street Journal: The Next Coronavirus Hot Spot: Louisiana Races to Prepare for the Worst
- The New York Times: New Orleans Faces a Virus Nightmare and Mardi Gras May Be Why
- KADN: Flattening the Curve: Taking a Look at Louisiana’s Hospital Capacity
- The Advocate: Can the Green New Deal cure coronavirus? Democrats think so.
- US News & World Report: Louisiana Governor Urges Residents to Isolate as Coronavirus Cases, Deaths Skyrocket
- DeSmog: Louisiana’s Cancer Alley Community At Increased Risk of COVID-19
- KATC: Four parishes rank in Top 20 U.S. counties for COVID-19 deaths
- The Wall Street Journal: New Orleans Area Has Worst Coronavirus Death Rate in U.S.
- The Epoch Times: New Orleans Area CCP Virus Death Rate Is Highest in US, Data Shows
- The Washington Examiner: Louisiana parish has highest coronavirus death rate in US
- The Economist: Covid-19 exposes America’s racial health gap
- Plaquemine Post South: Mitigation efforts must continue, Edwards says
- The West Side Journal: Coronavirus Coverage: West Baton Rouge, Iberville ranked among highest mortality rates per capita in the nation
- The Press Stories: New Orleans creates “death task force” to manage carnage of coronaviruses
- Mary Luquette had her articles published by The Daily Advertiser:
- Heidi Melancon and the Louisiana Small Business Development Center team assisted in conducting a COVID-19 Business Impact Survey of the Acadiana region.
- Sarfraz Khan had his paper "Abnormal Audit Fees and Audit Quality: Evidence from the Korean Audit Market" accepted in the Journal of International Accounting Research (JIAR). JIAR is published by the American Accounting Association and is listed as an A journal on the ABDC List.
- Brian Bolton and Tony Greco provided expert comment to The Vermilion for the article "Many college students will be left out of receiving federal stimulus checks".
- Josh Bendickson and co-authors had their paper “Entrepreneurial opportunity recognition in the face of disasters” published in the International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research (IJEBR). IJEBR has a 9% acceptance rate, is rated as a B in ABDC and a 2 in ABS, and has a one year impact factor of 2.391.
- Ignatius Cayhanto and Chase Edwards had their paper “Developing a resilience-based adaptive co-management framework: Public sectors’ insights on the role of tourism” accepted by the Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events. This journal is listed as a B in ABDC.
- Anthony Greco had his paper “A concise history of U.S. resale price maintenance arrangements and its current status under state & federal laws” accepted for publication in Volume XI, Issue 1 (47), Spring 2020 of the Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics. He was also invited to join their advisory board.
- Anthony Greco provided expert comment on the economic impact of COVID-19 to:
- Gary Wagner provided expert comment to The Advocate for “Experts: Acadiana economy imperiled in 2nd quarter; economy needs a reboot”.
- Ignatius Cahyanto had his paper, “Exploring the Host-Guest Interaction in Tourism Crisis Communication”, accepted for publication in Current Issues in Tourism. This is an “A” journal in the ABDC list.
- Zhiwei Zhu had his article, “Logistic-based Network Stability Study of Industrial Coupling Symbiosis Applied to Oil-gas-based Eco-Industrial Parks”, published by the Journal of Cleaner Production. This journal is listed as an “A” journal in the ABDC list and with a 5% acceptance rate in Cabell’s.