Dave Martin is an undergraduate student at the B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration.
Each month, we will share news and accomplishments of Moody College of Business faculty, staff, and students.
Programs and Events
- Lisa Bowles had Steve Bertogli, Business Development Director at Travelzoo and current MBA online student, as a guest speaker in HMGT 331 Principles of Tourism. He discussed his current role and career path within the company and how the company targets its partners for published travel deals. Travelzoo is an online publisher of travel and entertainment offers from around the world. Travelzoo’s partners include top quality hotels, cruise lines, vacation companies, airlines, state and city tourism boards, restaurants, spas, and entertainment venues.
Fred Davis hosted several virtual guest speakers in his classes:
- BLAW 310: Carey Chopin, Vice President of Gulf Coast Bank who discussed the banking industry, the criteria used to arrive at a credit score, and how to maintain excellent credit
- BLAW 412: Kevin Colomb, graduate assistant in the hospitality management program, and former manager of the Boiling Point and Fezzo's in Broussard, discussed the essentials of facility management to maintain a safe environment for both guests and employees in hospitality operations. He also emphasized the protocols necessary to avoid legal liability and the legal concerns in opening his new food truck business, Pincher's.
- BLAW 424: Robert Fruge, owner of several wedding venues in Acadiana including Abacus and Wolff Ballroom, had the class examine the contract he uses when booking wedding events to illustrate many of the concepts they learned semester. Fruge also discussed how he adapted his business to the circumstances brought on by the pandemic.
- Davie Reid hosted guest speaker Keith Belle, Aflac Regional Sales Coordinator, to discuss his leadership and management career, growth of Aflac's business, and internship program and Special Agent Bryan Singleton of New Orleans DEA. He also hosted Sergeant First Class Williams, Sergeant First Class Simmons, and Staff Sergeant Lyons of the US Army share their leadership and managerial experiences.
- Valerie McGehee has partnered with SchoolMint to host the Moody Business Speed Selling Challenge. Students from MKTG 357 competed and semi-finalists were chosen to move on to compete in the finals against the Advanced Sales Students on April 12th.
Awards and Accolades
- The Hospitality Management program has received approval for its 2020-2027 ACPHA reaccreditation follow-up report. A report will be submitted annually to show a continuous commitment to student learning.
- The student Sales Team (Allison Gaubert and Kobe Joiner), mentored by Valerie McGehee, competed in the Bayou Sales Challenge. Kobe made it to the semi-finals.
Research and Innovation
- Lisa K. Bowles and Bill Ferguson presented their research and teaching at the March 17th Moody Business Executive Advisory Council/Faculty Idea XChange.
- Geoff Stewart presented/testified before the Joint Subcommittee on International Trade in the Louisiana Legislature at the invitation of Chairman Wright to brief the Joint Subcommittee on seafood research and economic development recommendations. Geoff was cited for this presentation by KTBS ABC 3 Shreveport "Louisiana officials considering how to boost international trade", New Orleans City Business, Greater Baton Rouge Business Report, and KPVI NBC 6 Idaho.
- Gary A. Wagner was interviewed by KADN Fox 15 for the feature "Stimulus Money Could Increase Economy". He was also cited in The Advocate article "Louisiana's economy rebounding faster than predicted but there's a long way to go".
- Stephen Barnes, along with Beth Courtney, LPB CEO, hosted Louisiana Public Square featuring “Renewable and Reality” on LPB.
- Mary Luquette had articles published by The Daily Advertiser: "Is purchasing pet insurance worth the price?" and "Plan a budget-friendly, vacation".
- Ignatius Cahyanto was featured in the WalletHub.com article about travel credit cards.
- Tony Greco was featured in WalletHub's article about car insurance in Louisiana.